Consumers Energy is providing you new information about your energy use through the Home Energy Reports program. It's part of our ongoing efforts to help our customers save energy and money.
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 855-861-0152
Frequently asked questions
About the neighbor comparison
- What are similar homes?
- Similar homes are a group of approximately 100 homes that are similar in size to yours, similar in type (single-family homes or apartments/condos), and are located close to your home.
- How did you choose the homes used in the similar homes comparisons?
- To provide valid comparisons, we've chosen specific homes that are nearby and have characteristics that typically lead to similar energy needs, such as home size and heating source. And importantly, we only include homes that appear to be occupied at the time of the comparison.
- What if there are good reasons that my household uses more energy than other similar homes?
- Our goal is to provide you with a comparison that is valid and meaningful. Currently, our report comparisons include a group of similar, nearby, occupied homes. Our research shows that for almost all residents this provides a good indication of typical usage. However, there are some factors for which we don't account, such as the number of occupants in the home and special loads like hot tubs and swimming pools. You can provide additional information about your home by calling 855-861-0152, and we will use it to enhance your similar homes comparison.
- I have certain life or housing circumstances, such as energy-intensive medical equipment, that prevent me from reducing my energy use. So how can these reports help me?
- It's understandable that some people may have life or housing circumstances that make it difficult to reduce their home's energy use. We aim to provide a wide range of ideas that can address the various needs of our customers and their homes. We encourage you to find out which tips are best for you and search for more ideas. In some cases, you may not be able to realize substantial savings, but we've found that most people can realize at least some savings and we hope we can help you do so.
- How can other efficient similar homes manage to use so much less energy than me?
- Efficient households likely take a variety of steps to reduce their energy use, including using the thermostat to manage heating and cooling costs, turning off lights and electronics when not in use and always running full loads in the dishwasher, washer and dryer. The reports provide actionable steps that you can take to help you make your home more efficient.
- How do you determine the size of my home and how do I update it?
- The square footage of your home that we use in the Home Energy Report is based on data that is collected from public government sources about your home. If you believe the square footage used for your report is not correct, you can change it by calling 855-861-0152 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the program
- How do you compare my combined electricity and natural gas use?
- We use an energy index, which combines your electricity use, as measured in kilowatt-hours (kWh), and your natural gas use, as measured in thousand cubic feet (Mcf) into a single measurement.
- What is the purpose of the program?
- Most people are eager to make their home more efficient and save money, but they're not always sure how. The Consumers Energy Home Energy Reports program is designed to provide more information about your energy use so you can make informed choices and save money.
- Why was I selected to be a part of the program?
- We want to help you save energy and lower your energy bill. You are among a group of Consumers Energy customers included in the Home Energy Reports program, which is designed to help meet this goal. If you would prefer not to receive future reports, please call 855-861-0152 or email us at email@example.com.
- What is in the Home Energy Report?
Home Energy Reports are designed to provide new information to help you understand your home's energy use and find smart ways to make your home more efficient. Each report will provide you with new information including:
- Information on your home's energy use: You'll be able to see your home's energy use in the context of the energy use of similar homes that are nearby and similar in size.
- Progress tracking: You'll also see how your home's energy use changes over time and across seasons.
- Ideas on Energy Efficiency: On each report, you can find ways to save energy, including information on the rebates and other special programs we offer.
- Where can I learn more?
- The U.S. Department of Energy and the American Council for an Energy Efficient Economy are good, independent resources for additional information on energy savings. You can also find more ways to save at ConsumersEnergy.com/myhome.
- My bill ended up being much higher/lower than what was predicted online. Why?
- We estimate your next bill by assuming that your usage to date this billing period is similar to what your usage will be for the rest of the billing period. If your usage changes due to weather, being away from home, or other factors, it is possible that your actual bill will be different than the forecast amount. In addition, the forecast does not take into account all taxes, fees and discounts. For example, any low income programs or other discounts are not taken into account.
- Is my report available via email?
- Yes. To go paperless or receive email in addition to your paper report, please call 855-861-0152 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Can I opt out of this program?
- Yes. The reports are provided to help you understand your home energy use, save energy and reduce your energy costs. If you would like to opt out, please call 855-861-0152 or email us at email@example.com.